[-]
Stats
» Members: 771
» Latest member: fhalffs
» Forum threads: 593
» Forum posts: 3,156

Full Statistics

Extras
In this thread I will post just ideas to upgrade this wonderful project. Some will be implemented and some not...

Let's start with this one:

[Image: saber.jpg]

I printed this lightsaber one year ago. Maybe R2D2 dome could be a nice place for it!  Big Grin
I need to check how much space will be available and if an eject system could be realized (I do not want to launch the saber like ep.VI, but just raise it up to make easier extracting from the dome).
In my droid I wish to implement most of the features found on the movies (from ep. IV, V AND VI). One is the life scanner. I did not find a printable scanner like the one seen on ep.V, so I designed one by myself:
[Image: life0.jpg]
[Image: life1.jpg]
[Image: life2.jpg]
In this last photo you can see the size compared to the dome (still not printed the lower parts). 
The scanner seems fine, but I need to fix some small things to make an easier build. If someone else is interested in my model I can upload to thingiverse. 
Suggestions are always welcome if you have any!

I’m also trying to design a simple mechanism to open the upper panels and lift objects by using just one servo. I will post updates when I have some news...
Hello

have you seen the life scanner and periscope design by rorlin3d:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2517260

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2517220
Yes, I saw them and got them both, but for life scanner I prefer the curved antenna rather than the flat one. Also I’m trying to make a lift mechanism that also opens the dome panel, actually using one less servo.
Anyway rorlin3d really did a great job with those parts!
Yes that is a great job.

He inspired from the work of james Bruton , and the antenna stay not flat, he heat it for bend it.

see 9:40 min

have you expected to open only pie panels or all dome's panels?

I would like be able to open all panels but the panels arround the dome don't fit very well. i have begin to sand them for adjust them but i'm a little scared the result will not very good.

i will see when the weather will allow me to work on it outside.

Now i print the body.
I will just open the pies on my R2 and maybe not all of them. Surely I will use motors on pies for the periscope, the life scanner and the lightsaber launcher (if my 3d printed saber fits), but I can think to open all of them anyway.

To open the pies I'm modifying this model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2746177 (another great model!) and for the lift I'm designing a scissor type. I still do not know if it will have enough force to raise the gadgets but I'm confident.  Smile

I will post my results in this post and surely the models will be on thingiverse for everyone who wish to try them.
What's the purpose of an interface arm, if you do not have a computer socket?

While waiting for my dome to dry I looked at the other printable parts and I started to think (bad habit, sorry  Tongue ). After looking to the interface arm I thought it could be nice to have also the "other side" of the connection, so I tried to model one from ANH. This is the result after a couple of hours:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=366]

Unfortunately there are no blueprints for this, so I had to work hard on movie frames. Some piece could be already printable, but I need to complete the main panel as it would be too big for many printers and it still misses the mechanism to extrude the data block (the beige one on the left that in the movie comes out during R2D2 access).

Of course the socket is modeled to receive the probe from MrBaddely's work and it could rotate. I wish to change the interface arm so that I can make it rotate after connecting to the socket (and thus rotating also the moving part of the socket itself like in the movies).

Comments and suggestions are surely welcome!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Excellent idea!

If you find it difficult to automate the rotation of the end of the interface arm from inside the droid, you could put the rotation motor in the socket and have it spin the end of the arm when contact is made.  Same effect, since one wouldn’t normally rotate without the other.

The panel automation works fine. It all comes down to mounting the hinges correctly.
Wow! Nice job indeed!