Stats
» Members: 868
» Latest member: DoctorC
» Forum threads: 601
» Forum posts: 3,191

Full Statistics

My 3D Printed Body/Legs
Photo 
Hello everyone! I've been a beginner R2 builder for over a year, I have a completed styrene dome and a body that is framed and skinned but the body itself is warped in sections and I was having trouble with parts fitting in it and gaps. I decided to trash the body and start over with this 3D design.

Here are pictures of the completed dome and old body, the 3D printed base ring 1 and ring 2. Right now, I'm working on Doors and hinges so I can finish gluing Ring 2 on top of Ring 1.

For glue, I'm using Weld-On 16 thick solvent plastic acrylic glue. The hold is pretty good, I can break parts back apart, so I'm wondering if I should possibly friction weld with some spare filament as well? I would welcome suggestions!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=107]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=108]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=109]

David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looking good,

Regarding your glue. Have you tried cyanoacrylate accelerator with a kicker. I use the stuff from Hobby town (Here in the states) with kicker to dry immediately. https://www.hobbytown.com/instacure-gap-...107/p37056
[quote pid='160' dateline='1514685085']

My pics showed up as attachments, not sure how to insert the actual photos into the post yet.

David
[/quote]

Looking good.

I use Weld-On 4 and Weld-On 16. Have had no issues so far, and he's fallen over more than a few times.

There is a help page for inserting images.
Photo 
While working on the doors and hinges, I've finally gotten around to gluing Ring 2 to Ring 1.  Here is what I did.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=110]

Michael's design has these wonderful holes that line up between the 2 rings. So, I discovered that M4 screws and Hex Nuts work great to hold the two pieces together while the glue is drying. I may even leave them in permanently, what do some of you do?

The ones I bought, I picked up at my local Lowe's. Here is what they look like.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=111]

(01-01-2018, 08:38 PM)Doctor_Hoo Wrote: Daniel's design has these wonderful holes that line up between the 2 rings. So, I discovered that M4 screws and Hex Nuts work great to hold the two pieces together while the glue is drying. I may even leave them in permanently, what do some of you do?

The holes are there for what you used them for - alignment and screws while joining them.

I only used them for alignment, as I used a bunch of clamps to hold them together while the adhesive dried - faster to add and remove than bolts/nuts.
Wish more model makers used alignment holes,

Nice job
So I have Ring 3 completed and glued into place with all hinges set. I'm currently printing the "Top Ring" and then will move on to the Front arms and finally the back panel. I'm leaving the doors off for now until the weather cooperates enough (warms up) so I can paint the body and the doors. Then I'll attach them with the #4 3/8 screws that LarryJ recommended.

Here's the latest pic:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=113]

Here's my latest update! Doors are mounted, I'll need to figure out magnets or some way to keep them closed more tight. The Front arms are in place, the enclosure isn't sitting all the way in the socket like it was originally, I need to check on that. It's coming along very well, I'm working on the rear panel now before I move on to the skirt.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=118]

Very very nice.
Your joins look really good. Will help with you get to fill and sand.