[-]
Stats
» Members: 868
» Latest member: DoctorC
» Forum threads: 601
» Forum posts: 3,191

Full Statistics

Periscope Lifter Project
Last week I took the plunge and started designing a periscope lifter for R2-D2.  Here is an overview of the project.  I figured I would document this process as I went along so as to capture all of the relevant details.  This project will take me some time as there are lots of steps to integrate this beastie into the dome.  My plan is to integrate the mounting points into a single print dome.  However, I will probably publish a stand-alone version that can also be put into older Mark II domes (as that is how my first droid was built).  

Step one of this project was to merge all of the parts of the Mark II dome into a single-print dome.  This dome will eventually have mounting fixtures and self printing supports to make the single-print more reliable and the addition of servos much more accurate.  Once parts were merged, I moved on to modeling the periscope using information from Astromech.net.  I decided to go with the RoTJ version of the periscope over the ESB-swamp version.  

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1480]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1481]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1482]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1483]
Here is the a render of my Fusion360 model so far.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1484]

Once the periscope was 90% complete, I moved onto designing the lifter.  Here is a quick cutaway shot of my progress.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1485]

The one you see in the video is after several failed design attempts.  My goal was to have an entirely 3D printed assembly.  However, after many tries with printed guide rails, I decided I would just use aluminum tubes as they were less flexible and didn't require a lot of post-print finishing work to make them reliable.

The next constraint was to use inexpensive parts.  I didn't want to design around a $74 dollar linear actuator or a $56 dollar sail winch servo.  I am using the popular and cheap 28BYJ48 stepper motor (about $2.50 each).  I am still playing around with software and hardware and I believe I can get enough torque and speed to to the job.  In the video, I am running the 5V version of this motor at 7V.  It seemed to work ok, but I have 12V motors coming in two days.

Now that I have the lifter concept working, I am going back to the periscope design.  The next step is to design the base so it can be rotated.  I have a small slip ring coming in the mail as well.  After I get rotation figured out, I am going to work on the lights in the periscope.  I would love to find a little camera for taking reaction shots.  However, this may not be possible due to the size and weight constraints of the periscope.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So awesome! Are you going to share the .stls when you are done?
(03-08-2019, 01:33 PM)gpavey Wrote: So awesome! Are you going to share the .stls when you are done?

Absolutely!  I am currently working on the slip ring mount for the actual periscope.  I am using a custom-printed ballbearing.  Sounds weird, but it actually spins quite freely!  It's about 45 mm in diameter so the base of the periscope can sit on it and not wiggle.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1491]

Great work on this. Looking forward to this. I already have a periscope so really interested in the lifting mechanism
Work Progresses.  I am ready to print test pieces for the periscope rotation system.  It includes and integrated six-wire slip ring so I can run lights and such in the head of the periscope.  I am looking for a little camera I can trigger from the Arduino sketch to grab reaction shots.  Anyone have a little camera they would recommend?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1499]

Eebel

Look forward to seeing how this ends up. I'm still trying to figure out how to get mine solidly attached to the dome instead of hanging from the top at an angle. Hopefully in the next week or so, I can share a design that I modified. Seeing yours, I think I'd have preferred having my smooth rods in the back too.
Once I print this out (I’m currently out of town on a trip), my next task is dome integration. I may have to flip it 180 degrees to get clearance for the rotation motor. Or, I might have to move that motor to the side.

I am planning on adding attach points into the single dome print. Once I get that done, I’ll release both projects. I might also release the modified 200mm cut dome panel with mounting points if there is an interest.

Eebel
Hey Eebel,

What about this camera. Looks small enough and fairly straight forward to control via an Arduino. Quality looks okish...

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3202

Can't wait to see where you go with this. I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation project. After that, I will be back on the 2-3-2 system!

Troy
(03-12-2019, 11:34 PM)cobra troy Wrote: Hey Eebel,

What about this camera. Looks small enough and fairly straight forward to control via an Arduino. Quality looks okish...

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3202

Can't wait to see where you go with this. I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation project. After that, I will be back on the 2-3-2 system!

Troy

Thanks.  I just ordered one.  I think I can stick that camera in the Periscope and not ruin the look to the point of distraction.  Since I will be driving the whole thing with an Adafruit feather/motor controller combo,  I am hoping to just drop a little camera code into the sequence and also flash some LEDs song the way.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2927

Thanks for showing me this!

Eebel
Eebel,

Awesome... What slip ring are you using for your dome and for the periscope?

Troy