Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Slideshow

[-]
Stats
» Members: 768
» Latest member: topout7@hotmail.com
» Forum threads: 593
» Forum posts: 3,155

Full Statistics

Aus R2
#21
(03-16-2019, 10:47 PM)Cyber_One Wrote: Just a small tip, for the audio play back, you will want an MP3 player, MP4 is for video.

It's  ok... I know MP4 is for video... I wasn't setting up the audio side (though will need audio with the video)... I was setting up the parts for a DIY projector to install in R2. I should still be able to use it to work out focal lengths etc... but I'm thinking I'll use one of those raspberry pi 2.2" screens or something similar.
Reply
#22
That does sound cool, can't wait to see video of that.
:-)
Reply
#23
Ok... so I'm trying to not get bogged down in one part and to that end I decided to glue as much of the dome parts in as possible (ie I haven't glued in parts I might want to move). It's looking ok... I, of course, can see all the issues with it... but from a distance it does a decent job.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1531]

I'm currently waiting on some electronic elements to attempt to make the Logic light arrays (I know I could buy one of the kits but that's too expensive for me to purchase all in one go, the way I'm doing it I can spread the cost out over a few weeks. Also I like the idea of figuring it out myself... albeit with plenty of help from Youtube videos etc.).

Considering the most involved I have been with electronics before is more or less just soldering some wires together to get two 12V fans running off the same supply... it's fair to say my knowledge of circuits etc is limited (Dad was an electronics engineering teacher but I didn't show enough interest when I was a child... he is happy to help now but is in another state so it's a bit tricky).

So the dome is mostly done (at least the external appearance)... my holoprojector project is going pretty well but I'm currently waiting for the delivery of a new lens. I happend to (re) find a lens I had bought at a market many years ago... turns it out, it seems like it was a lens for a rear projection tv. I had bought it at the time because I had made a DIY projector and thought it would be cool to have parts to make another one (I never did)... this lens wouldn't actually be very good for that though as the throw is very short... but a short throw is perfect for the projector I want to build for R2.... however the lens itself is about two to three times the size I'd like it to be and quite heavy (I'm hoping to still be able to have the holoprojector moveable... with the weight of the current lens I think I'd need a stronger servo at least.

So... the build continues. Currently finishing up the upper dome print... then I'll move onto the lower and probably the dome drive mechanism etc... though it's tempting to move into printing some of the body... we'll see... I should try and remain "methodical" with my print order.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#24
Ok... so small update.

The dome is more or less done... for now at least. There are still plenty of electronics to be sorted but I have had some success there.
I was originally going to use a small LED array and have it provide the colour wipe from the front of R2... but after a chat to my dad he suggested a Neopixel ring (and then promptly sent me one)... after a quick search for how to program... some trial and error... I have a result that I'm pretty pleased with. I might need to work on the timings... but the overall look I think is pretty close.

The diffuser I used is simply one from an old LCD monitor.



I'm currently printing the body. I had to orient the base ring on it's side to fit on my printer as I am only using a Sunhokey Prusa i3 clone (my DIY printer is more or less out of action... I need to design my own and rebuild, but I'm kind of obsessing over R2 at the moment so as to how long it will take to get that one up and running again is anyone's guess).

The base ring is now done... I'm printing the parts to Ring 1 and noticed on one (after about 5 and a half hours printing) that it had a layer shift.) The print before it also had a small layer shift (that I may be able to work around with filing and filling?).
There's a chance all that caused the issue was me fiddling with the cabling for the hotbed... so that would make this a case of "if it's not broken, don't fiddle with it".
I'm currently taking the opportunity to print a direct drive upgrade though as I prefer direct drive to bowden and because I didn't entirely set this one up properly when I first got it (it was gifted to me and part of it was broken... but rather than print the replacement part I ziptied it)... it's got it's own issues.

I'm looking forward to getting the body done though as that will give me something to rest the dome on rather than my shelf which it doesn't really sit on neatly.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)