[-]
Stats
» Members: 723
» Latest member: Jds662005
» Forum threads: 590
» Forum posts: 3,135

Full Statistics

MKIII Drives
Been away for a while - haven't even touched the printer since before xmas.

Michael released his new drives and it started the itch back up again.

Here's the main frame in PLA - probably going to re-do it in PETG. It's pretty strong, but after I finished it I realized I did the last ones in PETG and they have held up great, why mess with a good thing. By offsetting the holes in the cross brackets, Michael made it real easy figuring out which parts go where.

Here are all the drive train pieces, these are all printed in PETG [6 shells (top/bottom/sides) - 30% fill]. The pieces on the left are printed axles - I'll most likely replace these with metal equivalents.

When installing the gears, install the middle one from inside the motor cage - and then move it left/right into position - fought with this one for a bit.

The rest is pretty straight forward.

I printed the tire with Ninjaflex Cheetah [ 3 shells - 20% infill ] - the lower infill gives the tire a little bit of flex. I lubed the edge of wheel with some Super Lube and positioned the tire on as far as I could by hand - a couple whacks with a rubber mallet and it popped right on - MUCH easier than V2.

Still waiting for some hardware and I still need to print the upper part of the assembly (ankle) before putting it together to test it out.
Looks nice, Is the tire the same as V2?
(02-15-2019, 07:21 PM)R3D3 Wrote: Looks nice,   Is the tire the same as V2?

No, the wheel/tire are about 1cm thinner than V2 and he swapped the pegs/slots that hold the drive gear to the wheel.
Thanks!
I assembled the MK-3 foot drives too.
Did you use some flat washer for drive gears?
Mine is little bit tight.
Does this use the same Razer Scooter motors?  Mine ran hot in V2 and I am concerned about durability with PETG.

Eebel
(02-18-2019, 02:24 AM)tk5331 Wrote: I assembled the MK-3 foot drives too.
Did you use some flat washer for drive gears?
Mine is little bit tight.

Just finished one side. I used washers whenever I had enough room.
(02-19-2019, 05:54 PM)Eebel Wrote: Does this use the same Razer Scooter motors?  Mine ran hot in V2 and I am concerned about durability with PETG.

Eebel

Yes, same motors. I think the tension that was required for the belts didn't help the motors very much - direct drive should be a bit easier on them.
I have perhaps a dumb question: do these new drives work with the existing v2 shells?
(03-05-2019, 07:39 PM)Prettyfloralbonnet Wrote: I have perhaps a dumb question: do these new drives work with the existing v2 shells?

Yes. He has also updated the shells, but the MKIII drives will work with the V2 shells.