Stats
» Members: 868
» Latest member: DoctorC
» Forum threads: 601
» Forum posts: 3,191

Full Statistics

Greetings from Baltimore!
Hi, my name is Jason and I'm a 3D printaholic. Smile 

After several months of research, lurking, and more research, I think I'm finally ready to start down the rabbit hole of droid building. Over the past year or so, I've been exposed to 3D printing at my work and have found a bias toward Star Wars-related projects. I have made a cool lightsaber hilt, a quarter-scale R2-D2, and even dabbled in Arduino for the first time in making a thermal detonator complete with lights and sound effects.

I'm still making some final decisions about how complex I want my droid to be, as well as how much will be printed in PLA vs PETG. In the meantime, I've got about half the dome printed and am looking forward to trying out some of the finishing techniques I've read about here and there.

So far, I'm really impressed with the sheer volume of information I've found both here and at the astromech forums, and the friendly, helpful nature of the community has me encouraged that it will help provide the motivation to keep this project moving forward.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions at some point in the future, if not here then over at astromech, so many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

Jason
Welcome.

R2-D2 will tie up your printer(s) for a long time, but I think he is worth it. As my build has gone on, I have been gradually doing more and more of my own design in Fusion to customise my droid to be exactly the way I want. It is a good excuse to learn 3D modelling. Smile
Welcome aboard! Make sure you look up Mid-Atlantic Droid Builders on Facebook too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason,

Welcome, I’m not to far away in Lancaster, Pa. I have a bunch of extra parts printed that your welcome to if you get near Lancaster or if you want to check out an R2 in person. I’m about 85% finished and my R2 is fully automated and has 2-3-2 center leg of Martyman’s design.

Troy
(02-03-2019, 12:06 AM)cobra troy Wrote: Jason,

Welcome, I’m not to far away in Lancaster, Pa. I have a bunch of extra parts printed that your welcome to if you get near Lancaster or if you want to check out an R2 in person. I’m about 85% finished and my R2 is fully automated and has 2-3-2 center leg of Martyman’s design.

Troy

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Troy, it would be awesome to get to see one of these droids in person so I can really grasp what I'm getting myself into. I just might drop you a line one of these days. While I haven't completed my list of features to include, I'm reasonably certain 2-3-2 isn't going to be on my list. I'm ambitious, but not that ambitious. Yours sounds like a really impressive accomplishment.

I'm not a Facebooker, so I couldn't dig too deep into the Mid-Atlantic group, but I am already astonished at how much information there is to be found in this forum.

I seem to be equal parts "don't jump in too deep too fast" and "just dive in and get started already!" Being a family man with twin 10-year old boys means being pulled in several directions so it's often difficult to get things going, but it also means I have a good bit of patience, and a mindset to do things right rather than just do them fast.

The last big project I did was a full tear down and restoration of a 1970's pinball machine - learned along the way and it turned out pretty darn good. Yeah, it took a couple of years, but was something to behold when it was done.

We'll see what the coming weeks have in store. Thanks all.