[-]
Stats
» Members: 450
» Latest member: mclaren99uk
» Forum threads: 479
» Forum posts: 2,744

Full Statistics

Custom 2-3-2
This project has developed into a complete custom 2-3-2 system. I am currently printing parts for my prototype build, but expect there will need to be some revisions. If all goes well and my design is usable I will share the STL files for others to use.

Until (if?) my design proves it's reliability I would still recommend waiting for Michael's official 2-3-2 design.

I have shared my design here:
https://www.3dprinteddroids.net/thread-497.html

As I mentioned it is still a work in progress.

So, out of interest and not wanting to wait for Michael I thought I would have a go at designing my own 2-3-2 shoulder modules.

I have based this off Michael's fusion design that appears to be an initial sketch of how he would make it work. I have spent a few hours on it and am starting to be confident I will be able too design something that will work.

I haven't been able to figure out what Michael's intention is with the Y shaped pieces in the hole at the top of the legs.

My design so far.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1161]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

How do you plan to drive the rotation of the shoulder?

I think I need to wake up before making comments (edit)
There is a worm drive motor embedded in the shoulder module. It will drive a belt wrapped around the inner shoulder hub in a similar way to Michael's V1 shoulders.

It looks to me as though either Michael has made a mistake with the design of the body where it holds the shoulder modules or he is intending on mounting the motor remotely from the worm drive gearbox. I am not sure what the purpose of the grooves running downward from the shoulder modules is, but theoretically you could run a drive shaft there.

There is not room to place the complete worm drive motor in the spot suggested by the cutout in the side of the body. I have squeezed it in higher up, but it will probably be impossible to remove it without taking the shoulder module out of the body.

I should add that the majority of my design above is either Michael's work or based on what I have inferred of what he was intending.
The Y-Shaped Piece is a spacer to make it easier to assemble. It is not load bearing. I just makes it easier to align the legs when mounting. I have assembled it with and with the spacer. It is easier with the spacer.

Eebel
(09-17-2018, 05:33 AM)Eebel Wrote: The Y-Shaped Piece is a spacer to make it easier to assemble.  It is not load bearing.  I just makes it easier to align the legs when mounting.  I have assembled it with and with the spacer.  It is easier with the spacer.  

Eebel

If it was just for alignment why would it have the circular indent and hole in the middle of it? I was wondering if it had something to do with position feedback, but it isn't big enough for a standard potentiometer.

I printed out my legs with most of the parts combined together, so my Y pieces are currently just sitting in place.
(09-17-2018, 05:50 AM)Martyman Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 05:33 AM)Eebel Wrote: The Y-Shaped Piece is a spacer to make it easier to assemble.  It is not load bearing.  I just makes it easier to align the legs when mounting.  I have assembled it with and with the spacer.  It is easier with the spacer.  

Eebel

If it was just for alignment why would it have the circular indent and hole in the middle of it? I was wondering if it had something to do with position feedback, but it isn't big enough for a standard potentiometer.

I printed out my legs with most of the parts combined together, so my Y pieces are currently just sitting in place.

It's just an alignment spacer.

He had the tile mechanism working pretty well in the first version, it was the center lift that didn't work very well.
Ah, does it help align it with the hub when bolting the legs up?
I have done some more design on my shoulder module. I would like to include a mechanical connection between the two shoulders to keep the legs in sync and for added strength. In the design below I have used a piece of 50mm PVC pipe. PVC pipe seems to be a popular solution for this among styrene builders.

Lots of details still to go. I still have to add belt clamps at the top of the inner hub and possibly tensioner rollers near the lower pulley to help keep the belt engaged.

I think the next step is to figure out if there is enough room in the body for the design I have come up with. I am particularly worried about the height of the center leg mechanism interfering with the pvc pipe, and if the width of the center leg mech is going to allow the use of the 16mm wide belt I have designed here.

I think I will need to get michael's WIP leg lift stl files and import them into my fusion design to see how the clearance looks.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1178]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wonder if there will be clearance with the center leg lift assembly in there?
(09-17-2018, 12:55 PM)Cyber_One Wrote: I wonder if there will be clearance with the center leg lift assembly in there?

Yeah, that is what I have to check next.