Stats
» Members: 389
» Latest member: emile1138
» Forum threads: 429
» Forum posts: 2,347

Full Statistics

START HERE - Parts List, Progress Tracker, General Discussion
Hello everyone! 

This thread is intended to serve as running progress update and parts list that I will be maintaining throughout the build. I'm a huge data nerd, so I'd like to know exactly what I end up putting inside  R2, how much it costs, how many spools of filament, how long did it take me, etc. 

That's where spreadsheets come it!!

The hope is that by the end of this build, other people can use this as more or less of a comprehensive parts list, including average filament and electronics costs, where I sourced each component, and my notes and comments about the parts. The following link will take you to at the Google Drive spreadsheet that I'll be using throughout the build. I'll probably update it once a week or so depending on the speed of the progress. I will update the date at the top of the spreadsheet to the current day to get an idea of how long I've been working on it. After I'm done I'll probably put together a more easily accessible list. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

This is my first droid build and the largest project I've tackled, so it will be a huge, but great, learning experience for me. I'm 100% open to suggestions, advice, constructive criticism, funny jokes, or words of motivational wisdom! Feel free to comment on this thread if you have any general questions or comments. I'm thinking this thread can be used as a general discussion board if it turns into that. In the end, hopefully this document and thread will help myself and others for future builds!

Thanks for stopping by, and check back for updates!

Regards,
Woody
Nice,
I have all of my receipts and intend to put them in a spreadsheet. However, I only have a feel for what I’ve spent and no empirical data. Partly because I am afraid to know what my obsession has cost... hehe

Eebel
Ohhh, that's easy, a small fortune :-)

Don't forget to count up the printing time, your printer was using power the whole time and that cost money as well :-)
(09-16-2018, 02:51 AM)Eebel Wrote: Nice,
I have all of my receipts and intend to put them in a spreadsheet. However, I only have a feel for what I’ve spent and no empirical data. Partly because I am afraid to know what my obsession has cost...  hehe

Eebel

Yeeeeah...That's gonna be a little painful for sure, but it'll be interesting to see all the data in the end. I already know it's gonna be bad, because I want all the bells and whistles too!

(09-16-2018, 02:57 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: Ohhh, that's easy, a small fortune :-)

Don't forget to count up the printing time, your printer was using power the whole time and that cost money as well :-)

Yeah I don't want to think about that part haha! Especially, because since I've been calibrating there's been a lot of fruitless printing time just to dial it in. It's gonna add up!
Yeah.
I am not done yet. I am going to add the periscope and life scanner. Also, I want to add a camera somewhere.

Eebel
I did all this too... for about the first 300 parts. Then the printer choked and I lost a bunch of print history - gave up at that point.
(09-17-2018, 05:40 AM)Eebel Wrote: Yeah.  
I am not done yet.  I am going to add the periscope and life scanner.  Also, I want to add a camera somewhere.

Eebel

Oh yeah, this is going to be a work in progress for a long time haha! And a camera would be a lot of fun! I'd love to see people's reactions from his perspective.

(09-17-2018, 05:57 AM)LarryJ Wrote: I did all this too... for about the first 300 parts. Then the printer choked and I lost a bunch of print history - gave up at that point.

Oh no! That sucks. I don't blame you at that point. Luckily I'll be forced to do it by hand, so as long as I can keep myself on top of it, it should work out decently well!
Nice, I don't want to think about any of the running costs, especially as I'm printing it in ABS.
I just created a subfolder in each directory named Printed, moving successful prints into there.

I am 2hrs-ish into a 6hr print (@75% size) on the right shoulder while I have builder working in the house,  I have said to them that they must not under any circumstance turn off the power.
I have been keeping a tally of filament used and printing time for my R2.   Its spreadsheet'ed up per parts but I hadn't totaled it all up until looking at this thread. 
So by my calculations I have used 11,082.88 metres of PLA, assuming approx 300m a reel thats pushing 37-reels.  That does seem high but what do you guys recon?
That's pretty much the whole R2D2 printed now.

Time printing is 2534:31:08 hours so that's 105 odd 24-hour days of printing.   I have been printing since January most days, so maybe thats not so surprising.  

I didn't keep proper records of filament and time it took to print my InMoov which is shame, so I cant really compare them.  

kyle
(09-17-2018, 03:11 PM)Buster44 Wrote: Nice, I don't want to think about any of the running costs, especially as I'm printing it in ABS.
I just created a subfolder in each directory named Printed, moving successful prints into there.

I am 2hrs-ish into a 6hr print (@75% size) on the right shoulder while I have builder working in the house,  I have said to them that they must not under any circumstance turn off the power.
Yeah, no me neither! This will only account for actual purchasing costs. Don't want to scare anyone away too quickly!

And you're brave my friend! I'm still a bit nervous each time I go to sleep with it running, let alone have builders in the house!

(09-17-2018, 06:59 PM)kylecampbell Wrote: I have been keeping a tally of filament used and printing time for my R2.   Its spreadsheet'ed up per parts but I hadn't totaled it all up until looking at this thread. 
So by my calculations I have used 11,082.88 metres of PLA, assuming approx 300m a reel thats pushing 37-reels.  That does seem high but what do you guys recon?
That's pretty much the whole R2D2 printed now.

Time printing is 2534:31:08 hours so that's 105 odd 24-hour days of printing.   I have been printing since January most days, so maybe thats not so surprising.  

I didn't keep proper records of filament and time it took to print my InMoov which is shame, so I cant really compare them.  

kyle

That doesn't sound too high to me from what I'm learning so far. I know Eebel said over in the Dome thread that he used over 30 spools. I'm halfway through my first roll of PETG and nothing to show for it unfortunately, because the printer's PINDA probe is broken so none of the prints came out clean. I have a feel I'll be up there too! 

I won't be tracking print time most likely, simple because I'll also be printing parts for other projects here and there. Mainly want this as a quick one-stop shop for information from the members and myself to hopefully at least help someone haha! 

Woody