[-]
Stats
» Members: 450
» Latest member: mclaren99uk
» Forum threads: 479
» Forum posts: 2,744

Full Statistics

Drive Assembly - Prepare Lazy Susan
The lazy susan bearing will work as-is, but work on the motor can be decreased by taking it apart, cleaning out the assembly lube and re-assemble using a dry lube. I also tried using Delrin bearings but they seemed to make more noise than the steel ones, so I put the steel ones back in (after cleaning all the assembly lube off of them).

Before taking the bearing apart, use a Sharpie to mark the top side of the bearing - make sure to mark both rings. The bottom side of the outer ring is the side with the plastic white feet (if you haven't removed them already), the holes on the top side of the inner ring are usually countersunk.

To take apart the bearing, remove the set-screw located along the outer edge of the lazy susan. Once the set-screw is removed, the ball bearings can come out, so be careful.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1075]

Remove the ball bearings by slowing rotating the outer ring so the fill hole is facing downward, make sure you have your hand or something underneath it to catch the ball bearings as they come out. Rotate the inner ring back and forth to get as many ball bearings as you can to come out the hole. Once you have gotten the majority of ball bearings out, the two rings will want to separate, remove as many of the ball bearings as you can before separating the rings, or you may have ball bearing rolling all over the place.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1076]

Clean the rings (and ball bearings if you will be reusing them) with WD-40 to remove the assembly lube. Wipe down the rings with a clean cloth to remove any extra WD-40.

If you have a bench top buffer, or buffing attachment for your drill, use a small amount a Tripoli compound to smooth out the curved part of the rings (bearing race).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1077]

Now you need to do some drilling. It is best to do this using a drill press, but can be done using a drill only - just try and make your holes as straight as possible. Use a 13/64" drill bit finish drilling out the holes that are already in the rings. You won't be using all of them, but it's easiest to just drill them all out. Make sure and do both the inner and outer ring.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1089]

Countersink the holes using a 3/8" drill bit. Countersink the holes on the top side of the inner ring and on the bottom side of the outer ring.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1090]

Clean off any shavings with a dry cloth before re-assembling the bearing.

Re-assemble the bearing by putting the inner ring back inside the outer one (make sure the tops are on the same side) and rotate the outer ring so the filler hole is at the top. Start putting the ball bearings back in the hole, rotating the inner ring back and forth every once and a while to make sure the ball bearings are dropping all the way down. Once all the ball bearings are re-installed, squirt a bunch of dry lube into the hole - making sure lube goes in both directions into the bearing. Put the set-screw back into the hole, not so deep that it stops the ball bearings from rotating around, but far enough that the ball bearings won't stick in the hole. Wipe down the bearing with a clean cloth. Put a dab of hot or white glue on the top of the set-screw to make sure it doesn't back out.

You should now have a bearing that spins much easier than it did before, with all the holes necessary for assembly of the drive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This process will work the same for the bigger lazy susan on the R2D2 droid as well :-)
(09-02-2018, 08:39 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: This process will work the same for the bigger lazy susan on the R2D2 droid as well :-)

Yes it will. I didn't do it with R2, but now that I've done it for BB8, I think I'm going to it to the one in R2 also.
(09-02-2018, 08:39 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: This process will work the same for the bigger lazy susan on the R2D2 droid as well :-)

This is why I shouldn't post late at night - totally forgot the section on drilling the holes - doh!!!