[-]
Stats
» Members: 422
» Latest member: bkdeering
» Forum threads: 446
» Forum posts: 2,439

Full Statistics

Battery Box Hoses
So, I am to the point where I needed to finish up the details on R2 and I have been looking at different options for the battery box hoses.  I looked at real braided hoses and found that they were a lot of trouble to work with and I could not find suitable hardware to mount them.  So, I decided to give the printed hoses a try.  Honestly, I thought they would be impossible to print and the design seemed optimistic.  However, after much trial and error on the flexible hose print settings, I got some decent hoses.

So the next challenge was to bend them into shape.  At first I tried filling the tubes with sand and using a heat gun.  The sand prevents kinks.  However, this was taking forever and was very messy (sand gets everywhere.  hehe). So then I tried printing the interior tube guides.  I used PETG, since it is strong and a little springy.  I was able to use rubbing alcohol as a lubricant to insert the guides.  For the first part of the guide, I just pushed it into the tube.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=956]

Then, I used pliers and a twisting motion on the tube and was able to push in about a quarter inch at a time until they were entirely in the tube.  The design has the knurled knob fitting onto the end of the guide.  However, I had distortions in my print and ended up cutting about half an inch off of each end for the knob to fit inside the tube.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=957]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=958]
Then, I got a pot of boiling water and ice water.  About 15-20 seconds in each one.  Then test to see if they fit the proper path.  Each curve is unique although they are mirror images.  You should have your battery boxes nearby to test after each bend.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=959]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=960]
For the ends, I heated it and held it in place to cool bit before hitting the ice water.  Remember, be patient and don't go for the full curve all at once.  It took several cycles to get it to take the shape I wanted.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=961]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=962]
I used a light coat of black paint on the hoses as a base.  Then I applied antique gold rub-n-buff for the hoses and silver metallic spray paint for the knurls.  I intentionally did not go for a prefect finish as I will be addling further weathering.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=963]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=964]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=965]
Eebel

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Those look great. I was also planning to try real braided hoses but I think I'll give the printed ones a try first. Thanks for the great write up.

Are you planning to go to Maker Faire in NYC with your R2?

Troy
they look awesome, well done! love the problem solving
(08-13-2018, 12:22 PM)cobra troy Wrote: Those look great. I was also planning to try real braided hoses but I think I'll give the printed ones a try first. Thanks for the great write up.

Are you planning to go to Maker Faire in NYC with your R2?

Troy

Thanks,  

Umm, when is that?  That sounds fun!

I will be at Dover, DE Comicon on 18 Aug and Dragon*Con in Atlanta Labor Day Weekend

Eebel
Check out my build page that used real braided hoses and the tips to help.

https://www.3dprinteddroids.net/thread-129.html