[-]
Stats
» Members: 494
» Latest member: Studly479
» Forum threads: 500
» Forum posts: 2,813

Full Statistics

Drive
I will be using Cary Christie's BMM/DMM for 'mounting' the head and Joe's Drive to power BB8. I picked Joe's drive because it appears that most people that have built it, have had very few issues with it. I'm also interested in Cary's drive, but it looks like it will be a couple more months for general availability and patience is not one of my virtues. Also, the cost of components is quite a bit higher than Joe's drive.

The complete drive will be printed in carbon fiber infused PLA to cut down on some weight and the increased strength.

Parts for the DMM:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=937]

Main square of the drive:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=938]

Motor spacing adjusters and bracket:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=939]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=940]

Assembly hardware (and more filament) should be here soon, so I can start putting things together.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=941]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Larry,

Did you see James Bruton's V3 BB-8 video series on youtube? If so, do you consider this drive system superior? I'm just asking because I am in the research phase of my next build.

Eebel
The club seems to be moving towards the axle drives - as the general consensus is that's what was used in the movie. I haven't seen his latest videos, but James started out with (and I believe is stull using) a hamster drive. Movement is a bit different between each method, Both work, but I think you'll find more support for the axle drives.

Then the trick becomes - which version to use, as there a few different versions of the axle drives. I think Cary Christies will be the most robust (once released), but his build seems to be a bit more expensive - he has one part in his BOM that costs as much as everything in the one I am building.
Received some hardware and motors this weekend, so starting assembling the drive. Should get the rest of the hardware this week - start purchasing electronics next payday.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1015]

That's a nice looking assembly. I like all the bearings.
Have you tested the carbon fibre to see if its stronger or lighter?
I bought a 1kg roll but haven't found a use for it yet.

You are a braver man than me for doing the motor but best wishes.
(08-20-2018, 10:23 PM)phul007 Wrote: Have you tested the carbon fibre to see if its stronger or lighter?
I bought a 1kg roll but haven't found a use for it yet.

You are a braver man than me for doing the motor but best wishes.

It is just a bit lighter (1.2 g/cm3 vs 1.25 g/cm3 with normal PLA) but a bunch stronger. It's a bit softer (so takes screws better), but not nearly as soft, or flexible, as PETG.

Sticks great and my machine loves printing it.
More hardware arrived today. Just about done printing all the parts, I think I'm down to less than ten - maybe one more roll of filament.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1035]

Hoping to fill the flywheel this weekend. Then I start gathering the electronics - the fun stuff!

That looks so cool!
Well, this sux! Half way through printing the flywheel gear and I come in to this - didn't hurt the print, but can't start another for a couple days until the new part arrives. Only have the flywheel and charger mount left to print ?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1052]

Tracked down two clamps for the flywheel motors (Servocity has been out of stock for weeks). Found one at a local Fry's, had to have the other shipped from a different store location in the Bay Area - should have it (along with the last of my other hardware) by Wed or Thur.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1053]

Started prepping the lazy-susan bearing for install: Took it apart, cleaned out all the assembly oil, polished the races and drilled the holes for mounting it to the drive. Wil re-assemble with Delrin bearings (that are supposed to arrive this week) and lube with a, Teflon based, dry lube. This should make the bearing much faster and less noisy.  I think I'm going to tear down R2 and do the same thing to the dome bearing.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1054]

Will start ordering electronics next weekend - woot!