[-]
Stats
» Members: 422
» Latest member: bkdeering
» Forum threads: 446
» Forum posts: 2,439

Full Statistics

Wheels coming together...
Central foot Omni wheel almost finished....

[Image: IMG_8428.JPG][Image: IMG_8427.JPG]

And getting there with one of the drive wheels.  I had only really ever used PLA so it was interesting using Nylon, Flex and PETG for these.  So far so good.  Printing the Tyres now. 

[Image: IMG_8447.JPG][Image: IMG_8446.JPG]
Hmm, There is a mod that uses only one big thick belt. You may want to look into it. I tried for days to get the dual drive belt system to work with no luck.

Eebel
(08-06-2018, 02:24 AM)Eebel Wrote: Hmm, There is a mod that uses only one big thick belt.  You may want to look into it.  I tried for days to get the dual drive belt system to work with no luck.

Eebel

Hi Eebel, is that mod on Michael onedrive site?  I keep seeing it mentioned. What issues did you have, belts coming off?   I have only powered it up off a small power supply to see if it runs OK, not tried it out to drive anything.  Took me a while to get the small belts printed, added a large brim to keep them stuck to the bed, but succeed in the end. Also just printed a tyre, another one to go.  Great R2D2 you have!
It's in Michael's R2D2_Public share under STLs->R2D2ver2Feet->OuterfeetDrives->Alternative Drive Wheel....
(08-08-2018, 12:12 AM)LarryJ Wrote: It's in Michael's R2D2_Public share under STLs->R2D2ver2Feet->OuterfeetDrives->Alternative Drive Wheel....

Great thanks Larry.   Good timing as I was about to print the second set.  Will try these instead
very keen to see these come together as i have just finished the legs and starting on the drives and feet now.
i have been reading through jon haags thread of his 3D printed C2-B5 over on astromechs, he had similar issues with the 2 belt system but has plenty of footage driving around at various events, his droid looks fantastic and is worth a read as it covers all aspects of the print process, electronics (padawan 360) and his workarounds.
https://astromech.net/forums/showthread....by-TK12130
(08-09-2018, 03:19 PM)Luc Wrote: very keen to see these come together as i have just finished the legs and starting on the drives and feet now.
i have been reading through jon haags thread of his 3D printed C2-B5 over on astromechs, he had similar issues with the 2 belt system but has plenty of footage driving around at various events, his droid looks fantastic and is worth a read as it covers all aspects of the print process, electronics (padawan 360) and his workarounds.

Hi Luc, just had a read of Jons blog.   Great paint finish to his R2D2.   I have just bought the sabertooth driver and am now printing the single belt parts for mine after reading comments about belt slippage.  I think I will concentrate on powering up my R2D2 and see how he moves, before I start painting him.  Ive no space to drive him around but he could go in circles around my workshop shed!
(08-09-2018, 06:11 PM)kylecampbell Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 03:19 PM)Luc Wrote: very keen to see these come together as i have just finished the legs and starting on the drives and feet now.

Hi Luc, just had a read of Jons blog.   Great paint finish to his R2D2.   I have just bought the sabertooth driver and am now printing the single belt parts for mine after reading comments about belt slippage.  I think I will concentrate on powering up my R2D2 and see how he moves, before I start painting him.  Ive no space to drive him around but he could go in circles around my workshop shed!

Awesome! if you have the time and patience, i would love to see some pictures of the drives going together and how it all pans out, its still a bit of a mystery to me!
(08-10-2018, 02:26 PM)Luc Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 06:11 PM)kylecampbell Wrote:

Awesome! if you have the time and patience, i would love to see some pictures of the drives going together and how it all pans out, its still a bit of a mystery to me!

Hi Luc
Well I reprinted for the single belt system as recommended by Eebel [Thanks Eebel for your comments].   The second motor has arrived so both feet are completed apart from needing to print the second tyre.  This is proving to be a pain - I keep getting failed prints.  Still, we keep at that.  I have ordered the motor drivers so hope to get R2D2 moving soon.  

[Image: IMG_8524%2B%25281%2529.JPG][Image: IMG_8528%2B%25281%2529.JPG][Image: IMG_8523%2B%25281%2529.JPG]
look great! cant wait to get started on mine!