Slideshow

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 352
» Latest member: luckystar
» Forum threads: 386
» Forum posts: 2,043

Full Statistics

[Entry 1] Overambitious Novices: The R5-M8 build log.
Hi, folks!  I'm Jake, a fortysomething Star Wars geek living in Cottage Grove, Oregon, and along with my teenage son, Gideon, we're going to attempt to build a droid!

I've been running an Edge of the Empire roleplaying game for a number of years now, and as a result, we've decided to start off by building one of the recurring NPCs, a deeply psychotic astromech droid named R5-M8 (or "Mate" for short).  He's green and white (a color scheme lifted from a background droid in the animated Clone Wars series), he's old and beat up, and my forum avatar should give you an idea of what he looked like back when he was new.

Now on to the nitty gritty!

We own a 3D printer.  It's a big 'un, the Fusion3 F400-S.  Here it is busily building some droid parts (sections 1-4 of body ring two, if you're curious).

[Image: xc47Jfs.jpg]

We're not very experienced with 3D printing, really.  We've gotten the printer, and we've noodled around with printing stuff off of Thingiverse and similar (mostly miniatures gaming terrain and board game organizers), and Gideon has started playing with Fusion360 design software, but this'll be our first foray into really building something impressive with it.  So we're probably going to make a lot of foolish rookie mistakes... which will hopefully make this build log useful for other foolish rookies who come after us.

So we decided to print in ABS (because we don't want our droid getting droopy in the sun or anything) and we're starting with the body.  We're not sure if that's the optimal place to start, but it seemed interesting, anyway.  So we printed the base ring, dry-fitted it together (there was a tiny bit of file work, but only a tiny bit), and then made our first foray into the world of ABS welding.  It seems to have worked!  We're going to let it dry overnight, but here it is (with all of the pieces for Ring One visible in the background):

[Image: fj34tl2.jpg]

Look at that!  We're finally officially building a droid, instead of just talking about it!

(Tune in next time for a thrilling tale of trial-and-error (and error, and error) on support settings for Ring One!)
Looks like a pretty good start to me!

Looking great. I'm also printing in ABS and I think the body is a great place to start. The domes are more challenging to print. Are you using straight acetone or a thin abs mix?
[Image: 2ia9zxu.png]
(07-18-2018, 12:55 PM)cobra troy Wrote: Looking great. I'm also printing in ABS and I think the body is a great place to start. The domes are more challenging to print. Are you using straight acetone or a thin abs mix?

I saw a video about "Juice", "Glue", and "Slurry", so we were shooting for "Glue", which has some ABS dissolved into the acetone.  I have no measurements on the ratio, however; we pretty much just eyeballed it.  The resultant goop is thicker than milk but less thick than Elmer's glue.