[-]
Stats
» Members: 389
» Latest member: emile1138
» Forum threads: 429
» Forum posts: 2,347

Full Statistics

bb8 printing and heler disks
after printing R2D2 without any major issues, (a few small ones and a biggy!)

I am having a few issues with BB8, its the first time I have used helper disk and they are working great.
From the pictures you can see the inner sphere with the supports and without (removed!)

The outer panels I am printing with pro PLA but still has a few minor issues with the tabs

[Image: attachment.php?aid=759]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=760]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=759]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am getting so frustrated with these parts!

I was able to print 3 full rings without any issue, and then my extruder crapped out on me.

Fixed the extruder and extrusion is now fine, but when I print these parts, I get about 1cm up and the damn corners break off the helper disk. I've tried a couple other orientations and have the same problem.

I upgraded to the hardened steel hotend and cut the heat down to 190 (from 205) but I still keep getting a bit of curl on the part that catches and causes it to break off. I'm thinking of putting the brass nozzle back on to see if it continues doing the same thing.
yeah I had that too, for some reason one printer does that and the other one is fine, I will still use the doging ones but did most of them on the good one.

they are exactly the same and used the same roll of pla to test on both.

my outer panels have issues with the tabs but I will just and to cut and sand them. It will be all good but more work as usual.
I had problems with that sort of thing until I enclosed the printer.

My enclosure is just a big cardboard box, but it solved the problems.
(07-31-2018, 12:47 AM)Laserman Wrote: I had problems with that sort of thing until I enclosed the printer.

My enclosure is just a big cardboard box, but it solved the problems.

I redid the gcode with the parts more at 90 degress with new helper disks, its much better on the 3dfillies pla but for some reason the aldi cheapo stuff its still the best.

The centre grills are a nightmare as only the aldi stuff will work. I am using the file without supports at 100% infill and you can see the parts moving when it prints.

Will post some photos soon.
OK. I have seen the term helper disks for months now.... what the heck are they?

Eebel
If your slicer doesn't do brim, or in the case of these parts, you have very small contact areas with the bed - you can create a small (10 - 20mm x 1mm) disk to put on the corners to help hold the part down.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=885]

(07-05-2018, 07:26 AM)LarryJ Wrote: I am getting so frustrated with these parts!

I was able to print 3 full rings without any issue, and then my extruder crapped out on me.

Fixed the extruder and extrusion is now fine, but when I print these parts, I get about 1cm up and the damn corners break off the helper disk. I've tried a couple other orientations and have the same problem.

I upgraded to the hardened steel hotend and cut the heat down to 190 (from 205) but I still keep getting a bit of curl on the part that catches and causes it to break off. I'm thinking of putting the brass nozzle back on to see if it continues doing the same thing.

I ended up doing a couple things to solve the issue:

First I turned the part 90 deg on the bed - this caused the airflow from my part fan to be a bit different which really decreased the curl.

Then I added a bunch of support, even on top of the helper disks. This not only helped absorb some of the heat, but it also protected the corners pieces from being pushed to far (and breaking off) if the extruder happened to hit a curl to fast/hard.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=886]

Yeah I moved the original part at a higher angle and put more sports in and new helpdesk disks.
Still not 100% but good enough.
I kept going and printed a full extra set for bb9-e.