» Members: 584
» Latest member: Freq
» Forum threads: 555
» Forum posts: 2,957

Full Statistics

Something new
Check out what came in the mail today.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=680]

I'll be using this for BB-8's head, to get the weight down.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So how hard is it to print with?
It's supposed to be like printing with regular PLA, but I haven't been able test it yet. It's just rough on nozzles, hence the hardened steel nozzle.

Before getting the new one, I thought I had a clogged nozzle. With regular PLA, I am getting random skipping, like there is too much pressure in the nozzle. But it doesn't' go away with the new nozzle. I turned up the heat to 230c (25c higher than normal) and it helped for a bit but slowly started acting up again. I think the temp is off - my belief is that it's way lower than what's being reported.

I have a new thermistor on the way, hopefully that will fix the problem.
I had a similar under extrusion, at first I thought it was a bad profile since i had done that before, but it then got worse.
Replacing the PTFE lining in the hot end solved the problem in the end.
I suspect it may have been from too high a temp.
Mine was reporting 220 degree C and the onset of the problem was just after I had run it out of filament.
I have since had the same problem again, again after running it out of filament.
Again the solution was to replace the PTFE lining in the hot end.
I have also seen this 3 or 4 time with the old CTC over the last year and a half.

The Wanhao uses a 4mm OD 2mm ID PTFE tube while the CTC uses a 2mm ID and a 3mm OD PTFE tube.

Would have been nice if they were the same size...
(06-21-2018, 08:24 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: I had a similar under extrusion, at first I thought it was a bad profile since i had done that before, but it then got worse.
Replacing the PTFE lining in the hot end solved the problem in the end.
I suspect it may have been from too high a temp.
Mine was reporting 220 degree C and the onset of the problem was just after I had run it out of filament.
I have since had the same problem again, again after running it out of filament.
Again the solution was to replace the PTFE lining in the hot end.
I have also seen this 3 or 4 time with the old CTC over the last year and a half.

The Wanhao uses a 4mm OD 2mm ID PTFE tube while the CTC uses a 2mm ID and a 3mm OD PTFE tube.

Would have been nice if they were the same size...

Actually... when I first put the printer together, I used some cheap PTFE I had laying around and it did cause under extrusion issues much like this because it was too tight (though it was more extreme). Changed to the PTFE that came with the hot end (which was visually bigger, ID and OD) and that fixed it. And I did just run it out of filament a couple times. Won't hurt to try swapping it out.
I would be curious to know it that does fix your problem, then I will know its not just mine that does it...
It's not something I had heard much of, just my experience.
I run my Wanhao i3 plus (2) with both hot ends as this is the only way to go. I use the micro swiss ones without any issues.
Probably done about 3000 hours printing across both ones. You will find you will be able to use less heat as the hot end will pre warm the PLA,etc before it gets to the head. I run it at 195 always without issues.
(06-21-2018, 04:31 PM)Cyber_One Wrote: I would be curious to know it that does fix your problem, then I will know its not just mine that does it...
It's not something I had heard much of, just my experience.

It was not the PTFE tube.

I have a Titan Extruder and I tightened the top rear screw too much, which caused drive gear to slide down the axle - putting the gear and hobbed axle out of alignment.

Luckily I have the exact same extruder on my other printer. As soon as I took it apart to compare them, I saw what was wrong. Pushed the gear back into place, put it back together (making sure not to overtighten the screw) and so far it's back to printing as it was.

Printing another BB-8 ring section right now. Once that's done, I'll try printing something out of the carbon fiber.
Good to hear it's back up and running. :-)

It's also something else to keep in the repository of knowledge of what could be wrong for those symptoms. :-)
It's been a while since I last played with the extruder gear, one of those things where once you get them going you tend not to touch them again unless something stop working :-)
So far I have done 12 carrie sphere pieces, all the ribs upper and lower, all the center panels (glued and primed), and the main dome ring (also glued and primed)
Not bad for two weeks work.

Two printers are going 24 /7 !!!.