[-]
Stats
» Members: 892
» Latest member: joe2chillo
» Forum threads: 601
» Forum posts: 3,191

Full Statistics

Welding PLA
There has been some interest in my method of welding PLA parts together to obtain a stronger joint than can be obtained with CA glue.

Here is a link to a video I uploaded today showing how i do it.

I hope it helps people out.
Looks like the embedded video didn't work for some reason, but the link works
(06-12-2018, 09:29 PM)Cyber_One Wrote: Looks like the embedded video didn't work for some reason, but the link works

I'll check out the embed plugin - Google probably changed something with their licensing.

Where did you get that scraping tool?
Would you believe it was an Aldi Special :-)

The parts I demo'ed on were recent of the printer, but I think I showed how a part can be recovered with the 3d pen
Here's my first attempt at welding the rings for my BB-8 skeleton.

I glued the pieces together first with Weld-On 16 and let it set for 30 minutes or so. No clamps to deal with when welding and it gives some type of bond in the middle where the weld doesn't reach. Maybe unnecessary, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Raw welds, top and bottom:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=627]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=628]

After sanding with 120 grit sandpaper. Need to get some good files for better/quicker cleanup:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=629]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=630]

Not bad for my first weld on a real piece. I was already doing better on the top (second weld) - will only get better with practice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not too bad at all.
Its hard to tel in the photo, but it looks like there are some voids in the outside surface.
This is normally caused by stop/start extrusion, while it can be hard to do, a continuous run at a constant speed will generally give better results.
The other tip is if at all possible, try and use a short end from the roll that you printed the parts with, the color will blend in better, but when painting the surface, that doesn't really matter :-)
I also try and start on the non viable side first, its amazing how that little bit of practice helps with the quality of the presentation side :-)

It's all about the practice, some of my early welds were terrible.
This is kind of ironic for me.

I started looking into building an R2 unit 5+ years ago, and at that time they were all mainly aluminum.

I decided to take a couple classes at a local community college to learn welding and maybe some basic machining skills.

After taking a couple of semesters of welding I realized that building an aluminum R2 just wasn't going to work for me - too long, too expensive, not enough access to the tools/material I would need.

I decided to continue with the classes and finish my AS that I had started 25 years ago, but in robotics instead of computer science (thought it was good motivation for my then high school aged daughter). Built my first 3D printer shortly after graduating.

Found Michaels files on Thingiverse and jumped right into building a droid.

Now here I am using basic welding skills to finish my droid.

In the words of Darth Vader "We have come full circle - the student is now the master" - bwa-ha-ha!
If your interested, here is a photo of that parts I welded together mounted in my R2D2

[Image: attachment.php?aid=631]

Damn, you're fast! weren't you just finishing up the dome a month or two ago?
I've been taking my time...
I started this project way back in mid April 2018.
That was ages ago :-)

I do have two 3D Printers, however I'm having to re-print a lot of the parts from the older one due a dimensional error in the old printer.
Prints were coming out slightly small is X and Y axis, Z was correct.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=632]

The annoying part is i may yet have to re-print the dome as its nearly 10mm smaller in diameter than the body :-(

[-]
Quick Reply

Disable AutoMedia embedding for this link.   MP3 Playlist

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.