Statistics
» Members: 305
» Latest member: sunshineA
» Forum threads: 308
» Forum posts: 1,098

Full Statistics

And I'm off - building the inner sphere
I know, I know...

I'm not done with R2 yet, but now that I have two printers running I can start on BB-8.

Started printing Cary Christie's Inner Sphere
[Image: attachment.php?aid=602]

Was able to get a few pieces out before running out of filament
[Image: attachment.php?aid=603]

Had just ordered some Thursday off eBay. Didn't expect it to arrive until next Thursday, but showed up this morning. I might actually have the inner sphere done by next weekend.

Attached Files
.png   first_piece.png (Size: 558 KB / Downloads: 105)
.png   day_2.png (Size: 1.18 MB / Downloads: 104)
Looking good.

I have watched all of James Bruton's builds. How similar is the design you are building to any of his? Are the designs available online somewhere?
(06-11-2018, 02:52 AM)Martyman Wrote: Looking good.

I have watched all of James Bruton's builds. How similar is the design you are building to any of his? Are the designs available online somewhere?

Files are available on the BB-8 Builders Club - since you are already a member of astromech.net, they should let you right in.

James is using his own custom hamster drive - the club seems to be moving towards an axle drive (I believe it allows for more control of rotation of the body and head).
I want to do the same so please document your build and what options you took.!! Many Thanks Phill.

p.s just finished building the BB8 from Bandai half scale.
Having fun in 3d
One Down...
[Image: attachment.php?aid=611]

… five to go.

Nothing glued yet. Best to wait until all the body panels are done (next print), just in case things need to be moved around a bit.

Since it looks like I have the print settings dialed in, let's try printing a whole ring at one time
[Image: attachment.php?aid=612]

Attached Files
.png   ring_one.png (Size: 1.41 MB / Downloads: 68)
.png   four_at_once.png (Size: 636.99 KB / Downloads: 68)
Re-read the instructions, looks like it's ok to start gluing up the rings at this point, just don't want to glue them to each other until the body panels are complete.

I glued the pieces together first with Weld-On 16 and let it set for 30 minutes or so. This way I would have no clamps to deal with when welding and it gives some type of bond in the middle where the weld doesn't reach. Maybe unnecessary, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Raw welds, top and bottom:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=627]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=628]

After sanding with 120 grit sandpaper. Need to get some good files for better/quicker cleanup:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=629]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=630]
Second ring coming off the printer.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=633]

I've come to the conclusion that printing multiple parts at one time is not for the impatient. A day and a half to print a whole ring at one time - me thinks I was a bit optimistic to be finished by this weekend. I think I'll print the rest two pieces at a time - less waste if something goes wrong and I'll be pulling something off the printer daily.

Attached Files
.jpg   20180614_131722.jpg (Size: 143.31 KB / Downloads: 52)
First ring all welded up:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=634]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=635]

With the pennies, Weld-On 16 and actual welding of the parts - this thing is as strong (or stronger) than a one piece print.

Attached Files
.jpg   20180614_223746.jpg (Size: 1,001.14 KB / Downloads: 40)
.jpg   20180614_223806.jpg (Size: 946.59 KB / Downloads: 40)
That look nice.
The only concern i would have with the glue as well as welding, is, does the glue give off toxic vapors when its melted?
But the inside looks excellent, and the outside isn't bad either.
Bit of paint and you wouldn't know they were separate parts :-)
(06-15-2018, 07:08 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: That look nice.
The only concern i would have with the glue as well as welding, is, does the glue give off toxic vapors when its melted?
But the inside looks excellent, and the outside isn't bad either.
Bit of paint and you wouldn't know they were separate parts :-)

Thx - had a good instructor  Tongue 

As for the glue fumes, I find I'm holding my breath a lot while I weld just to stay steady - really doubt I'm breathing much (if anything in). Haven't had any bad trips yet (that I'm aware of anyways).