Stats
» Members: 389
» Latest member: emile1138
» Forum threads: 429
» Forum posts: 2,347

Full Statistics

Hi from Ballarat Australia
Hi guys and gals,  Big Grin

My name is John, and I'm from frosty Ballarat, Australia.
Ballarat has a reputation for being one of the coldest places in Victoria, and unfortunately, it's true.  it's cold.  So cold in fact, the cast of Game Of Thrones turned down shooting there, cause it's just too cold.

Anyways....

I've been keenly trying to build an R2D2 for the past few years from styrene, but trying to find supplies and the ability to cut the styrene acurately has lead me to keep finding other more important jobs whilst the weather is warm.

Now that the winter has kicked in, I finaly discovered Michaels 3D printer files, and because I can make the parts in the house, where it's warm and cozy, it's all systems go.

I'm planning to be not 100% acurate in my build, because I want to incorporate an Intel Realsense camera into my droid, so it can see and figure out how to move on it's own.  I'd also like to add webcam's to the holo projectors to also add "the ability to see" to the droid. Ultimately I'd like to make the droid fully independant, using "computer vision" and audio controls to tell R2 what to do, and let R2 figure out how to do it.  I realy don't want ot have R2 be remote controlled, but I know I'll have to start there

So I've got big plans, and only a small idea how to take my grand vision and turn it into reality.  I've got a whole bunch of computing power to throw at this project ( UDoo X86, Udoo V1, Odroid X, Arduino Megas, Unos, Nano's), some basic servo's and small stepper motors, lots of batteries.  I've got Mounds of enthusiasm, an itchy coding finger and only a little bit of after hours time.

I've currenly only got a Wanhao Duplicator i3 printer, but I'm looking at a Creately CR 10s as a new primary printer ( your thoughts).

So far, I've printed 2 of the dome panels ( seems to be a good place to start ), and I'm going to try to do at least one more part each evening until I can get the whole dome put together.

This is realy a big learning experience for me, my coding skills are pretty good, but with all of the various "systems" talking to each other, I think I'll be getting a coding workout.  Electronics isn't my forte, but I'm eager to learn more, and I'm pretty happy, that most of what I want to do can be driven from things that simply connect up to Arduino's, rather than designing complicated circuits.  I'm comfortable with 3D modeling and simple fabrication, but doing finishing work, like preparing andf painting are all new to me.

Don't be suprised if I pop up with stoopid questions from time to time.

Look forward to getting to know you all more over the next few months.
Welcome Aboard,

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you on this epic journey to the creation of a self motivated Astromech.
I have the Dome Shell printed and assembled and most of the main body printed.

I have the Cocoon Create Touch 3D Printer, This is the the re-branded Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus. (They were on sale at Aldi)
That is my second printer, the first being a cheap CTC Pro B that I have since discovered has an inaccuracy in the X-Y axis.

We should be able to work together, I have a background in electrical and automation.
As for software, I tend to use MyRobotLab, This is a java based system with support for OpenCV, motor control and an AI.

As for computing power, I have been using the Raspberry Pi 3, this is a lot cheaper than the UDOO units has built in WiFi, bluetooth and an accessible GPIO.
Better still, I know MyRobotLab runs on it :-)

So what programming languages do you play with?
I have finished a static version and I'm in Newcastle, if you need anything just drop me a line.
(06-04-2018, 07:43 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: Welcome Aboard,

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you on this epic journey to the creation of a self motivated Astromech.
I have the Dome Shell printed and assembled and most of the main body printed.

I have the Cocoon Create Touch 3D Printer, This is the the re-branded Wanhao  Duplicator I3 Plus. (They were on sale at Aldi)
That is my second printer, the first being a cheap CTC Pro B that I have since discovered has an inaccuracy in the X-Y axis.

We should be able to work together, I have a background in electrical and automation.
As for software, I tend to use MyRobotLab, This is a java based system with support for OpenCV, motor control and an AI.

As for computing power, I have been using the Raspberry Pi 3, this is a lot cheaper than the UDOO units has built in WiFi, bluetooth and an accessible GPIO.
Better still, I know MyRobotLab runs on it :-)

So what programming languages do you play with?

Cyber_One!

Actualy my main printer IS the Aldi Cocoon Create Touch, and I love it.  I just didn't think our friends in the US and Europe would know what it was and the Wanhao is something most people can recognise.

I've not seen MyRobotLab, and was intending to use the ROS platform as there's heaps of stuff like SLAM and voice activation already created.  ROS does however need something pretty beefy to do the processing, but aparently they've started on ROS2 which will run on raspbery Pi's and even some of the other maker boards too.

For the droid, I'm thinking it'll be in C++ or Python ( haven't played with Python yet, so there's some more learning there )
But, In the past, I've worked in vasious basics, C, C++, Java, Javascript, Ruby, PHP, Lotus Script, Bash scripting, and from those what I've learnt is that most languages are prety similar, just the syntax and libraries are diferent.  and what YOU don't know, Google probably does.

Congrats on getting the Dome and most of the body done.  At the pace I'm going at present, I'll have the dome base done by the weekend, but it'll be a couple of weekes before I'm ontot he body.  How long did it take you on the Cocoon Create?

I'm very interested working with you, or any of the other Aussies cause at least we'll be able to talk products and suppliers that are available here.

Anyway, the Boss just walked in.  better sign off for now.

Chat soon!

(06-04-2018, 10:48 PM)phul007 Wrote: I have finished a static version and I'm in Newcastle, if you need anything just drop me a line.

Thanks phul007,

Do you have any photos?  (I've only had a brief look through the galeries on the weekend) I'd love to see them.
Any tips on products for finishing the droid that you've found in Aus?

Hope to chat more soon!
Check out my build log I have a lot of pictures and guides there , especially on paint brands and techniques.
If you need anything big printed, just drop me a line. I'm moving to Canberra at the end of the year, and hopefully will have a bigger workshop and can run more printers.

I'd be interested in joining in on the automated skynet R2 shenanigans.
(06-13-2018, 04:12 AM)Laserman Wrote: If you need anything big printed, just drop me a line. I'm moving to Canberra at the end of the year, and hopefully will have a bigger workshop and can run more printers.

I'd be interested in joining in on the automated skynet R2 shenanigans.

I'd like to stay slightly less advanced than skynet, but how cool would that be?  Time traveling R2 Units.