[-]
Statistics
» Members: 305
» Latest member: sunshineA
» Forum threads: 308
» Forum posts: 1,098

Full Statistics

Hello from Central Mississippi, USA
After moving last year I finally got my Lulzbot Mini set back up and decided that it's time to start a new project!

My printer has about a 155mmx155mm print area which is too small for most of the parts, but I've already been slicing them up further in Fusion 360 to get them to fit on the bed. I've just about finished the Dome and I've already started printing.
Hi and welcome. Really looking forward to watching your build take shape. It's a long road with lots of sanding!

:-)
Hello! Welcome to the forums.

I'm in NOLA, so glad to see someone from the gulf south here! Ha
Hello and Welcome.

With your attempt to build this with a smaller than normal printer, be sure to take lots of photos for here, and/or even time laps videos to upload to YouTube to others with your size printer can gain hope and follow in your foot steps :-)

I hope you enjoy the changes that come with such a large project, but keep in mind that there is help here when you run into trouble :-)
Sorry, I don't mean to put a downer on your idea, but have you considered buying a larger printer for this project? I am sure it is possible for you to do what you intend, but the amount of extra work will make this already huge project even bigger.

For example a printer like the Creality Ender 3 is only $200USD, which is trivial compared to the cost of filament, screws, paint, electronics, motors, etc. You could also use both printers for the project printing any smaller pieces on your existing higher quality printer speeding the whole process up.

As Cyber_One said, if you do attempt the project on your existing printer, please document your build, so that others with smaller printers can see what is required. Posting your re-sliced STLs here, would also be of use to people.
(06-02-2018, 10:35 PM)Cyber_One Wrote: Hello and Welcome.

With your attempt to build this with a smaller than normal printer, be sure to take lots of photos for here, and/or even time laps videos to upload to YouTube to others with your size printer can gain hope and follow in your foot steps :-)

I hope you enjoy the changes that come with such a large project, but keep in mind that there is help here when you run into trouble :-)

I thought I had finished slicing it up smaller, but I realized earlier today that some of my struts were blocking areas that parts have to go into (such as the holo projector and large logic display). I spent several hours trying to find a decent solution and I think I've finished (again).

I maybe splitting the dome up like this, but I am saving up for a Lulzbot Taz 6, so once I get that I may print the body without slicing it up further.

You can see in the screenshot below the compromise I had to make with some of the struts. I didn't want to get rid of them totally because I think they do help keep the print rigid and hold its shape during printing so the parts meet up together when the time comes.

[Image: JR9GCpm.png]

(06-02-2018, 10:53 PM)Martyman Wrote: Sorry, I don't mean to put a downer on your idea, but have you considered buying a larger printer for this project? I am sure it is possible for you to do what you intend, but the amount of extra work will make this already huge project even bigger.

For example a printer like the Creality Ender 3 is only $200USD, which is trivial compared to the cost of filament, screws, paint, electronics, motors, etc. You could also use both printers for the project printing any smaller pieces on your existing higher quality printer speeding the whole process up.

As Cyber_One said, if you do attempt the project on your existing printer, please document your build, so that others with smaller printers can see what is required. Posting your re-sliced STLs here, would also be of use to people.

I'll have enough money for a Taz 6 in a month or so. I prefer printers that are ready to go out of the box, almost maintenance free, and very reliable -- so I'm prepared to spend $2500+ in a few weeks. Money isn't an issue for me :-) but I will say, with smaller parts I'll be able to run my mini and the taz at the same time - if I haven't finished printing the dome in a few weeks (doubt I will finish).

I started a thread here:
https://www.3dprinteddroids.net/thread-290.html
I can see the attraction of a quality 3d printer. I seem to be always having to modify or fix something on mine. You will be able to tear through the printing with both a mini and a taz.
There are quite a number of parts that would fit on the mini without cutting down further.

I would like to get the bigger CR10 myself so I don't have to make so many joins :-)

Whats the build volume of the Tas 6?
(06-03-2018, 12:14 AM)Cyber_One Wrote: There are quite a number of parts that would fit on the mini without cutting down further.

I would like to get the bigger CR10 myself so I don't have to make so many joins :-)

Whats the build volume of the Tas 6?

Almost 1 foot x 1 foot ... just almost.
Not a bad volume, but you know how it is, its never big enough for that one job, even at 1000 mm x 1000 mm, there will always be that one job it won't be quite big enough for :-)