[-]
Stats
» Members: 829
» Latest member: langley
» Forum threads: 599
» Forum posts: 3,184

Full Statistics

Battery Hoses - Alternative
Well this is a bit of a prequel as I have made one hose and will do a build log tonight of making another one.

This will be an alternative to printing one. I think the flexible one is fantastic and looks great but I don't have the capability of printing flexible material and also I like the look of real metal on the hoses.

So what I have done so far, well I bought some gold braided metal hoses. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AN6-6AN-AN-6...2749.l2648
[Image: attachment.php?aid=173]

By using the existing 3d printed connectors (with a bit of trimming) they fit inside the hose.
I will show you process of cutting them as you need to wrap tape around them and cut slowly with a dremel to get a clean cut.
I will do as many pics as I can and also have the finished hose as well so watch this space.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So last night I finished the hose a did a quick build log for the build. Remember this is a alternative option as Michael does have all the files to print your own in flexible material!.

If you don't have the option of flexible printing then have a go at this.

***** SAFETY WARNING *******
Make sure you use the correct safety gear and ventilation when cutting rubber as this can cause health issues from fumes from hot rubber.

The link for the product is above and I printed the ends from Michael's files.

Step 1

Measure the cable and mark where you wish to cut the hose. Wrap Electrical tape around the hose with at least 2 width of the tape.
I did about 4 turns/layers of tape.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=174]

Step 2

The tape keeps the Braid from expanding, next is to cut the cable with a dremel.
I used a cutting disk and a slow speed. If you use a high speed the metal in the braid will get hot and melt the tape and expand.
It will look like a flower if you cut it at high speed. Below is the what is should look like after cutting
[Image: attachment.php?aid=176]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=177]

Step 3 

As you can see the braid has open slightly, over time to tape will come off and it will look bad.
My tip is to put heat shrink over the end with a little bit of overhang. See below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=178]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=179]

Step 6
You may need to remove trim the section of the end that goes inside the tube, which I did and then glued it in place.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=180]

Step 7 No repeat for the other end and repeat until all cables are now.

Here are the finished items.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=181]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=182]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Stainless steel hoses - this is what I was thinking about. I found copper sleeve, just need to find it in lengths shorter than 25'
Thought about the same thing. I found several hoses like this on Amazon that can be right for this task. I will definitely use these items on my R2.
what size hose are you using?

Thx
(02-22-2018, 05:48 PM)LarryJ Wrote: what size hose are you using?

Thx

Check the ebay link on the first post
(02-22-2018, 09:20 PM)phul007 Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 05:48 PM)LarryJ Wrote: what size hose are you using?

Thx

Check the ebay link on the first post

I didn't realize the AN# was a size standard - not something I've seen in the states.

It looks like it's just a bit bigger than 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD
This is what I'm going to use too, really good solution. Thanks. :-)
I have ordered some of this hose from eBay. I will give your method a go.
AN6: Inside diameter: 8.73mm/0.34" Outside diameter: 13.89mm/0.55"