Stats
» Members: 865
» Latest member: orubski
» Forum threads: 601
» Forum posts: 3,191

Full Statistics

Aus R2

Thanks for letting me join.

I finally started my 3D Printed R2D2. As with many people I'm printing the Mr Baddelley design. Most of the way through printing the dome so far and working on tight budget so the build is likely to get stretch out over quite a time frame.
I'm expecting to learn quite a bit of electronic programming through this process and maybe a few other bits and pieces.
I have a small MP4 player ordered that I may take apart to create a projector for the holoprojector.
Not sure what else to put in here... I guess that's the start to my project Smile

Welcome to our friendly group addicts,
Either Star Wars or 3D printers,
At least its all positively productive :-)

Best thing you can put in your blog is pictures of your progress in building your droid.
If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask, the only dumb questions are the one not ask before a disaster :-)
Lets be honest, if you have a question, there is a good chance someone else will have the same question down the track.

And, don't forget to have fun building your droid :-)
Welcome! I look forward to seeing your work.

Eebel
So far I've been battling the smoothness of the dome... I've taken to it a few times with (I think the lowest was about 80 grit), 120 grit, 240 grit, 400 grit and then I have 1200 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper (all but the 80 grit is wet/dry sandpaper).
I finally managed to get it looking decent... but I suspect I will end up giving it another pass with sandpaper and filler/primer before a final sand and painting again.
I think my best painting results were with a base coat of Rustoleum 2X Primer/paint Aluminium with a top coat of Rub'n Buff silver leaf... it gave it a kind of brushed steel look.
I've got just about all the final pieces printed for the dome though I'm not entirely sure what to do in regards the holoprojectors.
The instructions don't really go into detail about the Greebles, I assume I'm supposed to print the holoprojectors 3X? I would like to automate them for movement too so I guess that means I should be printing from the other directory that seems to have holoprojector elements?
Other than that... I'm looking forward to grabbing some supplies tomorrow to give the whole Blurple paint a try on the other parts of the dome Big Grin

(03-07-2019, 06:30 AM)Cpocaus Wrote: So far I've been battling the smoothness of the dome... I've taken to it a few times with (I think the lowest was about 80 grit), 120 grit, 240 grit, 400 grit and then I have 1200 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper (all but the 80 grit is wet/dry sandpaper).
I finally managed to get it looking decent... but I suspect I will end up giving it another pass with sandpaper and filler/primer before a final sand and painting again.
I think my best painting results were with a base coat of Rustoleum 2X Primer/paint Aluminium with a top coat of Rub'n Buff silver leaf... it gave it a kind of brushed steel look.
I've got just about all the final pieces printed for the dome though I'm not entirely sure what to do in regards the holoprojectors.
The instructions don't really go into detail about the Greebles, I assume I'm supposed to print the holoprojectors 3X? I would like to automate them for movement too so I guess that means I should be printing from the other directory that seems to have holoprojector elements?
Other than that... I'm looking forward to grabbing some supplies tomorrow to give the whole Blurple paint a try on the other parts of the dome Big Grin

I designed a servo mount for the holoprojectors... (yes there are three of them).  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805674

Eebel

(03-08-2019, 05:04 PM)Eebel Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 06:30 AM)Cpocaus Wrote: So far I've been battling the smoothness of the dome... I've taken to it a few times with (I think the lowest was about 80 grit), 120 grit, 240 grit, 400 grit and then I have 1200 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper (all but the 80 grit is wet/dry sandpaper).

I designed a servo mount for the holoprojectors... (yes there are three of them).  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805674

Eebel

Thank you for that. I had just noticed the directory actually has a 2X on it... I was a bit slow there Wink

I will have a look at your servo mount... I think I may need to adjust/make my own though as I plan on building my own mini projector to sit behind the holoprojector... so I will need to work out size/space to set everything up... should be possible (but I've been known to dream bigger than my ability would allow Wink
Hi Cpocaus

Are you from Australia? Whereabouts are you?

There seems to be quite a few Australian R2 builders on here. I am near Canberra.

Martin

(03-08-2019, 07:43 AM)Martyman Wrote: Hi Cpocaus

Are you from Australia? Whereabouts are you?

There seems to be quite a few Australian R2 builders on here. I am near Canberra.

Martin

Yep, I'm from Victoria, Ballarat. Funnily enough, when I went into Autobarn today to see about getting some paints, one of the sales guys came up and asked if I needed any help.
I said "it's not really car related... I'm actually building an R2..."
He responded with "oh cool, my mate is doing that... if he was here he could help with your colour choice..." Then he jumped on his facebook feed to show me some of his mates build... clearly using the Mr Baddeley's plans.
Small world.
It is a small world,
I too am another Aussie builder, a couple of hours away in Inglewood, about 35 minutes north west of Bendigo.

Next time there is a show on where our R2D2s can be shown off, we will have to catch up and compare notes and builds :-)

(03-08-2019, 02:29 PM)Cyber_One Wrote: It is a small world,
I too am another Aussie builder, a couple of hours away in Inglewood, about 35 minutes north west of Bendigo.

Next time there is a show on where our R2D2s can be shown off, we will have to catch up and compare notes and builds :-)

Sounds good... I suspect it could be some time before mine is "presentable"... but I'm hopeful I can have it up and running by the end of the year (I originally gave myself 6 months... but I suspect costs are going to slow things down a lot).

Ok so... in an effort to keep my costs down (and to make some more progress)... I was wondering, can joint compound be used as a filler on PLA printed parts?
I have a whole bunch left over from some ceiling repair work I did last year and figured it would be much handier (and cheaper) to be able to use that to help smooth my parts.