3D Printed Droids
Update from Atlanta, GA - Printable Version

+- 3D Printed Droids (https://www.3dprinteddroids.net)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://www.3dprinteddroids.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: New Members (https://www.3dprinteddroids.net/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Update from Atlanta, GA (/thread-593.html)

Update from Atlanta, GA - adailyptc - 03-18-2019

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been a member of this site for just about 9 months now, and while I've asked several questions (and received great feedback) I have yet to post photos of my build.  Partially because I spend most of my free time building instead of posting, but mostly because I'm just lazy.

First, a bit of history on my build.  I've been printing off-and-on now for about 6 months with my single Prusa MK3.  The first 3 months were filled with ordering/assembling my printer and enclosure.  R2 is my first printed project.  Not sure why I always feel the need to jump into any new hobby with insanely complex projects first.  But hey, that's what I've always done so I didn't see any reason to change that here.  I wanted to learn about cars a while back, so my daughter and I spent 3 years building a '65 Shelby Cobra replica.  My printer is in the IKEA enclosure from Prusa, and everything, except for various bits in nylon or flex, is being printed in ABS and acetone welded.  I also built a small ventilated paint booth so I could prime/paint during the colder months (not many here in Georgia, but there are a few).

When I began, the goal I set for myself was to complete the exterior shell of R2 by the end of May.  Primarily to show off to family arriving for my kids' high school graduation, but also as an intermediate goal toward completing the electronics by Halloween 2019.  I have found that without goals and deadlines my projects tend to languish.  I have also found that if I don't at least do something each day (sometimes as little as just staring), then my projects suffer the same fate.  My build is based on Version 2.  I was pretty far along when Version 3 parts started showing up, so my plan is to complete the build with Version 2 and then start updating various parts, such as foot drives and omniwheels, as time allows after completion.

So, here are a few photos of my work area and R2-to-date.  He's not perfect, but I figured the weathering I intend to apply will cover any imperfections.  I have taken hundreds of progress photos, but won't bore you with those since everybody here probably has a pretty good idea of what progress photos look like.  Of course, I will post if anybody has a specific question or I feel I might have something that might help somebody else as I read through other's posts.

Hopefully these links work, as it's my first attempt to post photos:

[attachment=1508]

[attachment=1509]

[attachment=1510]

[attachment=1511]

RE: Update from Atlanta, GA - MigMonkey77 - 03-18-2019

Looks amazing! I haven't documented my build either. Been printing on and off since October, But in east coast Canada I could be waiting a while for weather to do bodywork and paint.

You did a great job with the finish work. Thanks for the inspiration.

RE: Update from Atlanta, GA - cobra troy - 03-19-2019

adailyptc,

Looking great! I'm 95% painted and currently working on my electronics.

We must have similar ideas for good starter projects! I finished my Cobra 10 years ago and it was my fist car project and R2 was my first 3d printing project.

[Image: 47416436071_7da4a0e96d_c.jpg]

[Image: 47363679522_2ccdf5fffe_c.jpg]

[Image: 32474431247_ff29522cb6_c.jpg]

[Image: 46693270534_0a4bd2953c_c.jpg]

I live in Lancaster, Pa but I went to college in Savannah. Do you have any pics of your Cobra?

Troy

RE: Update from Atlanta, GA - phul007 - 03-19-2019

I wish my printer could print that , The cobra that is.

RE: Update from Atlanta, GA - adailyptc - 03-19-2019

Beautiful car!  Seems we've taken very similar paths to R2.  Looks like we both built Factory Fives.  And it looks like we both like to dive into the deep end of the pool on any new hobby!  Digging through all my photos I just realized I don't have any great shots of the engine, but here's what I could dig up.  Guess I need to get out for some better photos....not that I need much of an excuse.  "Can you go get a gallon of milk?" is usually all it takes.  Smile

[attachment=1517]
[attachment=1518]
[attachment=1515]
[attachment=1516]

RE: Update from Atlanta, GA - Eebel - 03-19-2019

Awesome work on the cars and the droid!

Eebel